My father is a diabetic and as prescribed by his doctor, he has to take the injectable insulin before every meal. Not taking it regularly on time has serious complications. On the other hand WebMD, a known health website reported that storing insulin in the home fridge may not be the best for it.
Also, my little daughters have broken 2 vials, I too broke one when I was taking it to him, that is why I finally decided to get a refrigerator for insulin storage that is just next to their bed. Not to mention, they end up opening the home refrigerator too much that, I finally decided to get a small Insulin refrigerator for my father.
My father travels a lot and one of the toughest jobs as a diabetic is to carry insulin, that’s why I got 2 small refrigerators (1 portable 12v refrigerator & 1 small insulin fridge.) I spent around 3 hours researching & testing a few models so that I could buy the best for him and once done with it, I decided to post this here to help other people find mini fridges that could store insulin!
A few of them suggested me to get the dedicated insulin coolers also popularly known as battery-powered diabetic fridges in a lot of places. But, they would just be limited to storing insulin, but we all know, that food timing is equally important to maintain the sugar levels in the body. That’s why after doing huge research, I came to the conclusion that I should buy a small fridge and not the dedicated insulin coolers.
According to the FDA, insulin can remain effective for around 28 days at room temperature. However, it would need a cool place to maintain effectiveness after the period is over. Also, it can lose effectiveness if exposed to extreme temperatures. So, to help you with the storage of insulin, here are some mini fridges which you can use for the purpose.
- The Best Temperature for Insulin Storage
- Things To Consider When Buying a Mini Fridge For Storing Insulin
- The Best Mini Fridges for storing Insulin
- 1. Best Overall: Danby DAR017A2BDD Compact Refrigerator
- 2. Best Portable Insulin Cooler: Cooluli Concord 20L Portable Mini Fridge
- 3. Most reliable one: Alpicool C15 Portable Refrigerator
- 4. Best Under $300: Midea WHS-87LSS1 Refrigerator
- 5. Most spacious: Midea WHS-65LB1 Compact Single Reversible Door Refrigerator
- 6. Best Value for money: Whynter FM-85G 85-Quart Portable refrigerator
- 7. Best Elegant: Danby DAR044A6DDB Contemporary Compact Refrigerator
- 8. Most Energy Efficient: Whynter CUF- 110B energy star 1.1 cubic feet upright freezer with lock
- 9. Highly Compact: Haier 4.5 cubic feet
- 10. Cheapest Yet Best: Black+ Decker BCRK17W Compact Refrigerator for Insulin
- The Verdict
The Best Temperature for Insulin Storage
Before going for any storage option, one needs to know the ideal temperature which will keep the highly insulin effective.
According to Iddt, the proper temperature which is best for storing insulin is from 36°F to 46°F. There are many storage options for keeping it, like bottles, cartridges, and mini-refrigerators.
While storing Insulin in a compact refrigerator, you need to keep in mind that it should not be frozen, and to avoid this situation, keep it far from the freezer or just settle with the non-freezer models.
Things To Consider When Buying a Mini Fridge For Storing Insulin
There are many things which you should know before buying a fridge, especially if you are purchasing a mini fridge to store insulin.
So here are certain things which one should keep in mind:
- Adjustable thermostat: A mini fridge with an adjustable thermostat is essential as it helps in adjusting the temperature of the fridge to suit the optimum temperature required for storing insulin. Most of the mini-fridges do have an adjustable thermostat with a display, which even shows you the temperature of the device.
- Portability: A mini-fridge that is not portable is not ideal for students and working persons, as they cannot take it with them wherever they travel too. Though senior citizens who have diabetes can use mini-fridges that are not portable for storing insulin.
- Energy Efficiency: 72% of the diabetics are of age above 50. Living on a pension to pension basis, it is very important that your monthly bills don’t add on to. Hence, having an energy-efficient fridge will help keep your electricity bills low without affecting your monthly budget.
Even if you are under 50 and working, your insulin and diabetic treatment costs are high and you should always try to cut corners with your monthly expenses where you can.
The Best Mini Fridges for storing Insulin
The list includes portable as well as non-portable mini fridges. You can buy both, but if you or the person suffering doesn’t travel a lot, then you can go for non-portable yet small refrigerators. Check out the 10 best mini fridges for insulin storage!
1. Best Overall: Danby DAR017A2BDD Compact Refrigerator
There are many reasons why the DAR017A2BDD from Danby has made up to the top of the list. This compact refrigerator can fit in any room no matter how small the room is, also it can maintain the ideal temperature that’s required for storing insulin!
- 1.7 cu.ft. interior capacity
- Energy Star compliant
- 1 full width and one 1/2 width removable wire shelves
- Tall bottle storage
I bought this for my grandfather’s insulin storage needs and after using it for a month, I must say that if you are looking for a non-portable mini fridge that’ll be kept in the bedroom, kitchen, or even office, then this is the best option you’ve got!
There are granny houses in many areas, which are one-room houses, and in these houses, the Danby refrigerator will fit nicely without a problem. With a warranty of 18 months, you can remain assured that this mini fridge won’t break down, and in case any parts get damaged, you will quickly get a replacement.
If you are worried about the electricity bill, then for your information, mini fridges cuts down the bill by some amount as they consume less energy, and the Danby mini fridge is a classic example to prove this point.
- It has a scratch-resistant top and is light in weight.
- It has reversible door hinges, which means both left and right-handed people can operate it. Furthermore, it has removable shelves to give more space for keeping other items.
- In addition to that, this fridge is even environmentally friendly, with an R600 rating, and ensures that no harmful gases are released, which may cause harm to the environment.
2. Best Portable Insulin Cooler: Cooluli Concord 20L Portable Mini Fridge
If you are looking for a portable mini-refrigerator, then the Cooluli concord is the best option for you. Not only is it a perfect travel companion, but it also comes with an in-built digital thermostat which helps you to know the current temperature inside the fridge.
- CONVENIENT + LIGHTWEIGHT: The Concord-20LDX thermo-electric cooler/warmer/wine cooler mini fridge by Cooluli is sleek, compact and perfectly portable. This...
- CUSTOMIZED TEMPERATURE CONTROL: Adjust and set your desired temperature with the simple touch of a button with the digital thermostat on the easy-to-read...
- ULTRA-VERSATILE + FUNCTIONAL: Use this cooler/warmer mini refrigerator as a beer and wine cooler, and to store food, snacks, drinks, breast milk, insulin,...
- STYLISH DESIGN: Sleek, glass-front mini fridge is ideal to use at home, in the nursery, office and dorm room, and on road trips, vacation, and tailgate parties
Along with being technology-oriented, the Cooluli Concord mini refrigerator is even portable. Whether you are in a picnic, traveling, or out for watching a match, you can easily carry it anywhere without worrying about the insulin storage. Isn’t it really something you’ve always wanted when traveling?
The display on the outside of the mini refrigerator states the temperature of the fridge, to let you know about the temperature at which the items are stored. So if by chance you notice the temperature fluctuations (which are very rare) then you can quickly act and make sure that is near the ideal temperature for Insulin storage.
This works on the thermoelectric technology, It means that it has the capability to work as a cooler and a heater. It can cool things below 40 degrees Celsius and warm things up to 149 degrees Celsius on the internal thermostat. So when you are not using it for storing your insulin vials, you can use it to warm food items.
With excellent design, it also comes in a variety of pastel colors for you to choose from. As the name states, this mini refrigerator is capable of storing 20 liters of items and even has a tempered glass front design. Alternatively, it can also be used as a makeup fridge to store costly cosmetic items.
I didn’t call it the best travel fridge just because it could be easily carried, but this one comes with an inset carry handset on both the sides making it easy to carry the fridge and can also be opened from both the sides, thus making it accessible to both left and right-handed people.
It has advanced dual-core cooling technology and comes with a warranty of 1 year, which will cover up al the labor cost and damaged pieces. Also, if you’re someone who loves eco-friendly product then you’ll like this one because it doesn’t release any toxic gases into the atmosphere.
3. Most reliable one: Alpicool C15 Portable Refrigerator
- FREEZES WITHOUT ICE: -4°F(-20°C) deep chilling down performance ,can be a fridge and freezer.Run great with your small solar system as well.
- STORAGE SPACE: Exterior Size- 22.4"x12.6"x10.2".16 Quart(15 Liter) capacity ,fits 20 cans of Cola.
- CAR BATTERY PROTECTION:With temperature memory function and 3 different levels for battery protection: Low, Med and High to protect your vehicle battery...
- STRONG PLASTIC MATERIAL:Light weight but durable and easy transport to anywhere.
The Alpicool C15 compact refrigerator is one of the most reliable and easy-to-carry mini-fridge. You can easily store it in your car trunk, truck, in your room, and anywhere, where you would need it.
It has a 3-stage car battery protection system so that whenever you want to run it on a car battery, the battery of the car does not run down. Along with that, the fridge is vibration resistant and does not make any noise.
Interestingly, you can even control the temperature of the mini-refrigerator, thanks to the digital thermostat which is present on the fridge. It has a capacity of 15 liters and you can store insulin, water, cold drinks and other items which you would need for traveling.
As you can control the temperature of the fridge, you can easily adjust the temperature according to the temperature requirement of insulin storage. It has side handles on both sides, for you to carry it and weighs around 21.2 pounds.
- You can not only run the mini-fridge with AC power source but even with a DC power source, and you also get both AC as well as DC adapters along with the mini fridge. [That’s why it’s great for truck drivers or car drivers]
- It can act as both fridges as well as freezer and guarantees to freeze things without forming ice. It is made of sturdy plastic that is durable and that’s why it’s lightweight too.
- It also consumes less energy and will help you in saving money in your electricity bill.
4. Best Under $300: Midea WHS-87LSS1 Refrigerator
If you are looking for a perfect mini refrigerator for your house, under $300, then the Midea WHS-87LSS1 refrigerator will help you with that. Made up of stainless steel, this mini refrigerator represents the definition of a robust mini-fridge.
- Mechanical Temperature Adjustment Ranges From -2' to 2' Celsius (32' to 35.6'Fahrenheit)
- Large Storage Areas Excellent at Chilling Beverages and Healthy Snacks/Produce, However Cannot be Used for Storing Frozen Foods or Making Icecubes.
- Features Adjustable Legs and a Reversible Door that can Open from Left or Right
- Energy Saving: Energy Star Rated & Low Noise.
In most of the student hostels, one cannot get a full-size refrigerator for storing insulin; thus, this mini refrigerator makes for a perfect choice for diabetic students. However, it’s not just limited for the dorm life. It can be used at any small apartment, office, libraries, or even in a cabinet.
- This fridge comes with whisper-quiet technology, you can remain assured that your baby will not wake up due to the sound of the refrigerator. Thereby making it one of the quietest mini fridges for storing insulin.
- Furthermore, the refrigerator is even energy efficient and will help you to save money in your electricity bill. You can keep your insulin, medicines, and even vegetables in the mini-fridge, and they will remain fresh inside it.
- There’s a freezer compartment for storing your cuts, frozen food or eyes.
- It has a mechanical thermostat, and you can even adjust the temperature of the mini-fridge manually. Along with this, the refrigerator also has removable shelves to increase the space inside the fridge.
- It even has adjustable legs and reversible door hinges to make it easier for people to open it form any side.
- The stainless steel material makes the fridge sturdy and durable, you can easily use this fridge for many years, and all these features you can get under $300!
5. Most spacious: Midea WHS-65LB1 Compact Single Reversible Door Refrigerator
Though the name says that the Midea WHS-65LB1 is a mini-refrigerator, it has a lot of space as compared to other mini-fridges in the list. It can hold up to 25 to 30 water bottles, which defines its capacity.
Along with that, it has other features too, which makes this particular mini refrigerator an excellent choice. As the manufacturer of this mini fridge is Midea, you can expect the refrigerator to be quiet, as it is made of Whisper quiet technology which makes the fridge suitable for libraries and nurseries.
- Mechanical Temperature Adjustment Ranges From -2' to 2' Celsius (32' to 35.6'Fahrenheit)
- Large Storage Areas Excellent at Chilling Beverages and Healthy Snacks/Produce, However Cannot be Used for Storing Frozen Foods or Making Icecubes.
- Features Adjustable Legs and a Reversible Door that can Open from Left or Right. Min/Max Frozen Food Section-32~50
- Full 1-Year Warranty
Furthermore, you even get a freezer compartment in the fridge. Though the inside of the freezer might make you think that it cannot hold many items, but it is spacious, as you can even use the freezer compartment as a standard compartment for storage purposes.
You can also change the temperature of the fridge, manually, with the help of the mechanical thermostat. It has removable shelves so that you get more space, though you have to keep in mind to avoid keeping frozen foods in it.
The Midea fridge comes with a 1 year warranty, which will cover all the labor and repair costs, and if you receive any damaged products, then it even has an easy replacement policy.
Furthermore, this particular mini-refrigerator has adjustable legs to adjust the height of the fridge and also has reversible hinges. It is energy efficient and is quite affordable as compared to most of the refrigerators on the list.
6. Best Value for money: Whynter FM-85G 85-Quart Portable refrigerator
- 85 Quarts or 120 cans (12FL oz) capacity; Adjustable temperature range: -8°F to 50°F; LED temperature display; "Fast Freeze" mode rapidly cools to -8°F
- Car, RV and home use; Operates as a refrigerator or freezer; work with 12/24V DC and 110V AC power; Voltage power AC (115V/ 60Hz - 80W/1.0A) or DC (12V/24V -...
- 8-feet AC power cord and 10-feet DC power cord; Two removable wire baskets; Insulated lid and walls; ETL approved
- Power low indicator; Functions even when tilted 30°; Tough and solid outer powder coated steel housing; Drain Plug for easy cleaning; Stainless steel side...
If you are ready to invest a few extra bucks for an excellent mini-refrigerator, then the Whynter FM-85G 85-Quart compact refrigerator is the best choice for you. Though the cost of this particular refrigerator is high than all the fridge stated in the list, the features which it has made it the best value for money.
Firstly, it is portable which means you can carry it easily with you on an expedition, trip or even a picnic. The powerful compressor cooling system makes sure that your beverages, insulin and food items remain fresh and chilled.
The most important thing about this fridge is that it comes with a freezer compartment too, and you can run it with any power source. In addition to that, it has a fast freeze mode, which can immediately cool any items up to 6 degrees Farhenite.
It is spacious, and you can easily keep up to 45-50 cans in it. The design of the mini-fridge is robust, and it will not break down easily. Though it is a bit heavy for a mini-refrigerator, due to the sturdy outer casting material, you can keep it in your car trunk or the tent during camping.
Furthermore, it even has the feature to control the temperature of the fridge, and you can view the temperature on the LED display situated outside the refrigerator.
It looks more like a “cooler,” but it is not and will make sure to keep your items fresh. At this amount, you even get an AC and DC power cord, which you can use to run the fridge. This particular refrigerator does not consume much power and is also eco-friendly.
7. Best Elegant: Danby DAR044A6DDB Contemporary Compact Refrigerator
Everybody loves to have elegant home appliances, which will change the look of the house. If you are in search of a mini refrigerator that not only fulfills the requirement of storage and capacity but even looks stylish, then this one from Danby is one of the best option for your insulin storage needs.
- Iridium Silver Metallic door finish with rubber grip chrome ergonomic door handle
- Black interior with White LED lighting
- Glass Shelves
- Door Lock
The Danby mini refrigerator has 3.3 cubic feet of space, which is approximately 96 liters, which, when compared to other refrigerators, is a lot more. Apart from that, the interior of the fridge has two and a half tempered glass shelves for maximum storage, and you can even keep large bottles in it.
- This mini fridge comes with a classic look from the outside and has a lot of space inside.
- It has a curved door design with a metallic finish and has a rubber grip handle. If you are already impressed by the exterior design, then the interior design will add more points to make this refrigerator perfect for you.
- It comes with a CanStor beverage dispensing system and a scratch-resistant exterior.
- The R600a refrigerant makes it an eco-friendly fridge, so stop worrying about the environment while using the fridge.
- The mini fridge can automatically defrost if the temperatures are too low and has interior LED light so that you can view the items also in dim light. With the door lock, you can remain assured that the refrigerator will not remain accidentally open.
8. Most Energy Efficient: Whynter CUF- 110B energy star 1.1 cubic feet upright freezer with lock
- Energy Star rated (uses less power than a light blub); Low noise level. Perfect for storing breast milk, ice cream and frozen food.
- Freestanding setup (clearance around the unit is needed); 1.1 cu. ft. total storage volume; Product external dimensions: 18.5″W x 17.7″ D x 19.5″ H
- Sleek black reversible swing door; Recessed handle provides a flush finish with the door
- Cylinder lock and two keys for added security; Mechanical temperature control -10° - 2°F
With the growing technology era, even pollution is increasing. In such times it is essential to save and consume less energy so that we can protect the environment.
With this motto, Whytner has designed this mini fridge, which is energy-efficient, portable and will avoid releasing toxic gases to the atmosphere.
Moreover, this mini fridge is even easy to carry and store items such as water cans, insulin, and milk. It is small and easy to bring a mini refrigerator which you can take with you anywhere.
Though the storage space of the mini freezer is not much, it is suitable for storing small items that are required daily. Not only does it help you in saving energy, it even helps you in keeping your insulin at optimal temperatures.
With the cylinder door lock, you can remain assured that the fridge will lock itself if someone does not have the key. This particular fridge even has reversible door hinges so that both left and right-handed people can operate it efficiently. The mini-fridge does not have any feature to control the temperature of the fridge, so you need to check the temperature rating of the mini-fridge before buying.
9. Highly Compact: Haier 4.5 cubic feet
- Half-width freezer section for frozen foods and ice with a full-width convertible drip storage tray
- Ideal in an office, game room or any place you want simple access to cold drinks and food
- 4 distinct storage areas, including space for 2L bottles and a convenient can dispenser
- Dimensions of the Haier compact refrigerator: 22.20"L x 20.30"W x 32.10"H / 4.5-cu. ft. capacity
Why has this mini-refrigerator by Haier bagged the title of the most “compact” refrigerator? The reason is that it perfectly defines the word “mini refrigerator” and has tons of features added to it.
Firstly, it has a storage capacity of 4.5 cubic feet and can easily store your insulin and other medications requirements. Along with that, this refrigerator even comes with a freezer compartment to keep things that require proper storage.
The ideal mini refrigerator which will fit in any surrounding and even assures you of a useful storage feature.
This particular refrigerator is easy to clean and is even affordable. It has four storage areas, where you can also keep cooked meals for later consumption. You can keep insulin in here, as the refrigerator is neither too cold to freeze the insulin nor too hot to damage it.
10. Cheapest Yet Best: Black+ Decker BCRK17W Compact Refrigerator for Insulin
Ae you on a less budget and yet want the features that come in high-rated mini fridges? In that case the Black and Decker BCRK17 should be your choice! Not only can you store your insulin, but can also store a lot of other food items, cuts, and beverages of your choice!
- COMPACT & STYLISH - This space saving small refrigerator (17.5" x 18.5" x 19.7") stores food, soda, beer, and other beverages with minimal energy (70 watts) and...
- LARGE CAPACITY - The removable glass shelf expands the storage space and makes the fridge easy to clean. Additional door storage fits two cans (like soda and...
- CONVENIENT FEATURES - A reversible door, leveling legs, and adjustable temperature control (33.8 degrees Fahrenheit at the lowest setting) make this mini fridge...
- ULTRA QUIET - Low sound operation is perfect for places where you don't want a noisy appliance - waiting rooms, TV and game rooms, and even baby rooms where you...
If you are a student living in a hostel or have newly shifted to a town and you are searching for an affordable mini fridge for daily use, then the Black+ decker mini fridge is the perfect choice for you.
It is budget-friendly, has optimum storage and is ideal for everyday use. The storage capacity of this particular mini-fridge is 1.7 cubic feet, which is quite useful for keeping water bottles and other necessary items. There’s a freezer compartment to store.
It even comes with a freezer compartment, where you can store insulin or other things that require chilled temperature.
The Black+ Decker mini refrigerator is portable, and you can fit it anywhere. It will not take up much space, and neither will it consume more power; thus, you can relax about the electricity bill. It even has an adjustable thermostat inside the fridge through which you can control the temperature of the device.
Proper storage of insulin is an essential thing for diabetic patients. Though one can prefer for storage options such as cartridges and bottles, the ideal choice is a mini-fridge.
The above reviews were done by going through all the mini-fridges, after which these were selected. The above-stated mini-fridges are perfect for storing insulin, water bottles, and other items. You can go through the reviews to choose the ideal mini fridge for your house.